Search This Blog

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Champagne and Lace; and then it all changes!





“CAMPAGNE AND LACE” is a local bridal shop we drive past several times a week on our way to anywhere. A few weeks ago on an otherwise uneventful late afternoon we had just such a routine drive by. This particular shop is located at a four way stop. They use the display windows very effectively by constantly changing the displays with eye catching colors and designs. Every time we go by I always hear “go slow”… “you are driving too fast”…. ”slow down”. Often I will pull a “u-ball” in the middle of the road and park in front of the windows. That seems to pacify my passenger(s) every now and again.

On this particular day as we drive by “slooooowly” my wife says: “That is a very nice dress, I like it, but, it would look much better if they would change this……and add a little something here.” I usually never comment on the new dresses in the window except to point out they have once again changed the display. On this day I said: “well, I like this dress too…. just the way it is”! What?” …says my wife, “you never liked that kind of dress before, what changed”?


So what has changed you might be asking as my wife did? Well… I did. I have been married for over 45 years. I am much older. I have had a lot of time to think and rethink a lot of things. Things that worked for me at the beginning of our relationship no longer do. I have many new interests that I never had at the beginning and things I was very passionate about then are today relegated to the “bottom shelf”.

This drive-by today opened once again an opportunity for us to discuss what it is we really like and do not like. I had to explain to my wife that the last time we discussed wedding dresses was when she was picking out hers (still hanging in my daughter’s closet today). There has been no need to discuss wedding dresses since then, so we never did…until this day.

This whole scenario just brought to mind how constant communication is required to maintain a healthy close relationship. If you do this at the beginning of your relationship and then not so much you will find that you will “grow” apart as you both change…... differently.

People change… count on it! You are not the same person you were 10 years ago and you will again not be the same person in another 10 years…. and neither will your mate. At its root this change is what slides you into relationship boredom and then indifference as each of you goes or grows in different directions.

The secret is to grow together, and this can only be done by being in each others lives every day and having open communication. You must share a life, not just a bedroom. As one of you feels afraid to express what you feel, want, and do not want it will become a barrier to an intimate relationship. This becomes even more difficult if you have let things go for a long time; it is harder and harder to deal with as time goes on.

A good practice to build into your marriage is to always be checking in with your spouse. This does not need to be a big deal that takes a lot of time. Do it “on the fly” or over after dinner coffee. Don’t be afraid to ask; “are we ok”?... “what part of our marriage do you think needs more attention”?.... “I read this online post today. Do you think you would like this”?

If you want honest communication prepare yourself. You are NOT allowed to react negatively to anything you hear. If you do, even once, you will never hear the unvarnished truth again on that subject…. likely ever! If you want to really have honest communication give yourself time to react. There is a learned art to this.

Take it from me…. please take it from me. I have had years of real life experience with this. The things you push “under the rug” because they are too hard to talk about WILL come back to “bite you” someday. Do not wait for that day.

The key to a healthy, vibrant, intimate life-long relationship is each of you meeting the primary needs of the other. You will be unable to do this until you fully understand what these needs are. These needs may change over the course of your marriage. If you don’t communicate regularly and effectively you will miss this opportunity. You will become just another “old married couple” too tired to make changes. You will have traded a passionate, intimate relationship for a dull stable one with an accommodating roommate.
_____________________________________
For more on identifying and meeting each others needs I recommend “His Needs, Her Needs” by Dr. William J. Harley Jr. ( Available at Amazon for as little as .50. I got mine at the used book store for $1. [Full disclosure: I have no connection to Dr. Harley or the publisher. I receive no benefit from my recommendation]


No comments: